From this week on until Christmas break, the teachers and students will be very busy with various projects. My cooperating teacher and I have been busy getting the students ready for the Christmas concert coming up in a few weeks. The junior infants will be doing a short skit about Christmas while some are dressed as Christmas trees and others are dressed as stars, angels, tinsle, and bells. Then they have two Christmas songs that they will be singing and a poem in Irish that they will recite. It is a lot of work getting the students ready for the day of the concert. Most of them know their lines by now, but we are still getting them to practice saying them louder and with more expression. Today was also the first day that we introduced them to the stage that they will be performing on and getting each group to understand when it is their time to go up to the microphone and where they need to line up on the stage. It's very time consuming, but I think it will turn out great in the end.
Other than that, my cooperating teacher and I have been sharing various Christmas project ideas with one another. She told me about a project she does every year with the students. First, they trace their feet on a piece of paper and then they trace their hand and cut them both out. Then the students lay the footprint horizontal on a piece of paper and glue the hand print over the toes. In the end it looks like a reindeer. I thought that was so cool, I've never heard of or seen anything like that before! I told her about a very common Christmas project that I always did a lot in school where you make a wreath by cutting out the center of a paper plate. Then the students can trace their hands on green paper and cut them out so that they look like the leaves that can be glued onto the wreath. She had never heard of that project before either so it was kind of fun sharing ideas with one another. I'm excited to do a lot more Christmas projects with the kids, especially since that was always my favorite when I was in elementary school.
On a side note, my host mom taught me my first lesson in knitting today. I was very slow at the beginning but then I started to pick it up and I'm on my way to making my first square. My host mom said making a simple square is the best way to start practicing when you're new at knitting. I am not even close to being done yet, but that's okay. I think I have the hang of it now! After I make a square, then I can start making something that I really want to knit. I'm hoping to make a scarf so I might start looking for wool in the craft store in town after I finish my square. I'm pretty excited about it!
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Beginning of Christmas Projects
Posted by Colleen at 3:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment